Sunday, October 16, 2005

What is a Made For AdSense site?

AdSense is Google's pay-per-click, context-sensitive, online advertisement network for publishers. Sign up is not limited to high-traffic sites, so it's become popular, which has led to Made For AdSense sites.

Made For AdSense sites are created for the sole purpose of putting up ads. In a strict sense they don't contain any real content. Examples can include scraper sites (snippets of content is taken from other sites) and random keyword generators.

Those kinds of sites obviously have no purpose other than serving up ads, but I'm going to loosen up the definition to include any content-based site that wouldn't exist if not for the advertisements. I know what you're thinking. Don't most web sites try to make money? Yes, and that's great, but it's not too difficult to tell the difference between a webmaster who cares about the content, and one who spends most of his time trying to deceive the user into clicking ads.

I have no vested interest in reviewing these sites. I'd rather not even link to them, but I'd like anyone reading my reviews to see what I'm talking about. One thing I do is to put rel="nofollow" in each of the links to the sites I'm reviewing, so spiders don't follow them. I'm not trying to be a jerk, just an impartial observer.

Another thing. There's no guarantee that the sites I'm reviewing will still have the same layout a minute after I post my review. Google might kick them out of the program, they might do a site redesign, or who knows, maybe they'll just shut down their site. So just keep that in mind.

In response to adam's suggestion to take screenshots, I will now be displaying a scaled-down screenshot for each site.